"This Is Where I Leave You" Is Fun, Dysfunctional Comedy


   "This Is Where I Leave You" surprised me. The first thing that appealed to me when I saw the trailer for the first time was the cast. It's a pretty starry cast if ever I've seen one. Some of the top-of-the-list comedic actors of our time find themselves in a film together and, coupled with a sweet storyline and a decent screenplay, deliver a movie that was surprisingly great. I say that as if I was surprised that it was good. That's not it at all, I love everything (duh), so allow me to clarify. I was surprised at how good it really was.

   Judd Altman, played by the wonderfully talented Jason Bateman, has what will probably become the worst year of his life. Not only does he find out that his wife (Abigail Spencer) is cheating on him with his boss (Dax Shepard), but his father passes away. The loss of the family patriarch is merely the catalyst to the emotional roller coaster that ensues for Judd and his family. Not that a cheating wife and a dead father is bad enough, once home it's revealed that the father's dying wish was for his family to spend seven days together, away from their individual lives. This brings Judd together with his strong-willed sister Wendy (played by Tina Fey), his hard-nosed older brother Paul (Corey Stoll) and quirky, irreverent little brother Phillip (Adam Driver). Let's not forget the matriarch Hillary (Jane Fonda).

   Instead of taking the potential shenanigans to a whole other level, director Shawn Levy does a great job at telling the story of five individuals in a way that is relatable, fun, emotional and lighthearted. Each character comes with their own set of baggage that throughout the film is opened and shared with the other characters and the audience. With Bateman's sensitive performance at the center, each actor gets moments to shine and they all equally deliver sensitive, real performances. Fey, who is well known for her comedic sense, dials it back here, delivering a performance that will resonate with mothers and wives alike as she explores the dynamics of her own family a midst her crazy immediate family. Driver delivers a quirky performance of Phillip, adding a lot of the comedic and also unsettling moments of the story. It's refreshing and fun to watch each character interact with  one another. My family is nothing like the Altmans, but I drew so much from them that it brought me back to instances and moments shared with my own siblings. That's when you know a movie works; when it can move you, while entertaining you.

   As wonderful as the film is, at times it's as dysfunctional as the Altmans. There were moments of great character development, then moments where the plot dropped the ball a bit. If anything, it left me wanting more, which can be taken as a good thing. All in all, like every movie, "This Is Where I Leave You" isn't perfect.  It's a warm, real look into a dysfunctional family during a time of loss. It's funny, it's happy, at times it's sad. It's a great afternoon flick, one you'll probably enjoy.



Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Reviews

Quarantine Movie Round-Up #3

Jackman Shines in the Captivating Musical "The Greatest Showman"

A Secret Sequel and A Couple of Oscar Noms!