Fantastic Four: The Fantastic Reboot Everyone Will Hate, But Shouldn't

  Image result for fantastic four 2015 movie pics

    I don’t think I went into seeing any Marvel film with more reservation than I did with this year’s reboot of Fantastic Four. Then again, I don't think any other Marvel movie has been met with the amount of negativity and skepticism than this film has. So there I was sitting in my seat, popcorn and drink in hand, thinking to myself, “I hope this is good. I really want to like it.” It was a new feeling. I wasn’t expecting that from a Marvel film. I always felt safe in their arms, knowing full well that whatever was about to play out in front of me was going to be an interesting ride. Even with unknowns like Guardians of the Galaxy and this year’s Ant-Man, you got your money’s worth, no matter their flaws. They delivered the Marvel experience.

     I don’t know what it is about Fantastic Four that gave me such reservation. Maybe it’s because every other iteration was either campy, corny, or just plain awful. The two we got in the early 2000s gave us a glimpse at what could be something great. Yet they still were unable to do the characters and story justice. The only film to come close to the awesomeness that the Fantastic Four should be, ironically wasn’t a Fantastic Four movie. It was Pixar’s The Incredibles, which is essentially at its core…a family version of the Fantastic Four. So, seeing has how Marvel has magnified their cinematic universe to be this gargantuan beast, one would think that this reboot would finally be worthy of the cynical fans we’ve all become.

     Let me just say, I liked it. But if you are aware of the content from this blog, that was to be expected.

     I guess I’ll start with why I liked it. First and foremost, IT’S NOT CAMPY! There’s a level of grounded realism that most of the comic book movies nowadays seem to have. The movie doesn't take itself seriously with its pseudo-science, although there is a more serious tone to this film, more so than any other Marvel movie. Second, THE CASTING WAS FANTASTIC. The Internet was up in arms when Michael B. Jordan was cast as Johnny Storm/The Human Torch, because in the comics he’s white. Trust me when I say, that’s the least of your worries. I haven’t seen anything Michael B. Jordan has done that I haven’t liked. And he’s great in this. The entire cast really does a fantastic job. Third, THE ORIGIN STORY IS WAY BETTER THAN THE LAST FILM’S! I’m so glad they did away with the weird space rays that gave them their powers, and went with the alternate storyline from the new comics. The usage of inter-dimensional travel was really fun and visually entertaining. Fourth, and maybe this might seem weird but for me it was a selling point, THE MOVIE IS MORE OF A SCI-FI DRAMA THAN A COMIC BOOK MOVIE. It’s true. Weird but true. It plays out more like a sci-fi epic with hints of horror, than a comic book movie; focusing more on the people than the powers. Most people will hate that. I’m not most people.

     Where I think the general audience will disagree with me in liking this film can be found in a few places. First, the movie is slow. Reeeeaaalllly slow. There’s very little action, I mean VERY LITTLE; which is one reason why it just doesn’t feel like a comic book movie. Where it lacks in action, it plenty makes up for with exposition. There’s a ton of it. There’s so much exposition in fact, that the movie almost serves as a prologue to what would be an even better movie. The film spends most of its time discussing science and morals of inter-dimensional travel as well as setting up the characters; it briefly shows their powers, then jumps forward in time with a quick montage of “training”, if you will. Then it hits the climax. Then it's done. The movie drudges on, then speeds up only to end. My thought after it ended was “Okay, now give me the movie that’s supposed to come next, because THAT thing is gonna be epic!”


     Now don’t take this the wrong way, I really enjoyed the movie for what it wasn’t, rather than what it was. And it’s that reason I feel that most people and critics alike are going to hate on this film hardcore, if they haven't already. I thought the movie was interesting, engaging, and fun. They really did a great job showing their powers, even though it wasn’t very time consuming. There were no blue spandex suits, which is a huge plus. The final battle with the scary-looking Dr. Doom was brief but really cool. There are a few scenes, (most of the ones taking place in the alternate dimension) that are harrowing. Dr. Doom's power display is jarring...but short lived. Despite all of its flaws, the film is a huge step forward from its predecessors, and that’s comforting.

     The Fantastic Four is Marvel’s “first family” and they deserves a quality movie. This film probably won’t hold up with the comic book fan base. The film is dark and dreary in comparison to the bright and colorful comic book origins. My hope is that audiences will go into it with an open mind and enjoy the movie for what it is instead of what it isn’t.

Comments

Popular Reviews

Quarantine Movie Round-Up #3

Jackman Shines in the Captivating Musical "The Greatest Showman"

A Secret Sequel and A Couple of Oscar Noms!