PRE-SCREEN REVIEW: Eddie the Eagle


   Biopics are an interesting breed of movies. Some are good, some are bad, some are entertaining, some are more boring that staring at a wall of bricks. As a film-lover, I'm ashamed to say I often dismiss biopics. Not completely mind you, I see them eventually. They just don't end up at the top of my list. For example, last year's "Straight Outta Compton" was a movie I felt "I'd get around to seeing". My wife really wanted to see it, I was interested, so we went. That movie was awesome, truly one of 2015's greatest films. That being said, the first time I saw the trailer for "Eddie the Eagle", my initial thought was "Eh, looks interesting. I'll see it eventually." Then something magical happened. Pre-screening passes for "Eddie the Eagle" graced themselves to my wife and I and as I write this I'm an hour removed from the movie's ending and let me just say, this movie is definitely worth the viewing.

   The film tells the story of Eddie Edwards, a notoriously tenacious British underdog who dreamed of competing in the Olympics all his life, summer or winter, didn't matter. In fact, he "trained" for the summer Olympics but quickly turned his sights towards skiing in the winter Olympics. After being cut from the ski team, he reset his sights and sought to become the single member of the British ski jumping team. He went on to eventually charm his way into the hearts of viewers worldwide during the 1988 Winter Olympics. It's a story of determination, veracity, and heart, three solid adjectives anyone would use to describe Eddie to this day.

   One of the main reasons I initially set this movie aside in my mind was the trailer itself. Eddie seemed to be a weird, quirky guy, whose depiction seemed almost satirical. If you're going to do a biopic, making it a satire--though artistic it may be--may not be the best route to take. I'll admit, upon the film's start I got the sense that this was going to have that satirical feel I was dreading. But I was wrong. This movie takes itself serious in it's storytelling, though there are some great comedic aspects along the way. That's because the story of Eddie is an intriguing one. It's in no way a satire, and it just goes to show you that trailers may not always do movies any help.

 
   Taron Egerton (Kingsman) plays Eddie and really performs in this movie. Eddie seems like a straight-forward guy, quirky yet relatable, and Egerton brings that lovable heart to the screen. He's really quite fun to watch, and the character is so rich with determination that you can't help but root for him. I don't know how loosely this film is based on the actual events, but it captures all the fuzzy feelings you would expect and want from a feel-good, underdog story. Which brings me to another positive point. When it comes to content in movies, things have their place. The movie is rated PG-13 but has no language, sex/nudity (though there is a scene in a sauna with naked guys but all the goods are covered). There are some pretty gruesome tumbles depicted on the slope, but overall the movie had this tasteful sense about it, which was really quite refreshing.
 
   Hugh Jackman plays Bronson Peary, a former Olympic ski jumper who reluctantly becomes Eddie's mentor/coach. He is, in every way, Eddie's opposite. Eddie is scrawny, Bronson is ripped. Eddie is squeaky clean and sober, Bronson is a drunken mess. Eddie is determined to succeed, Bronson is determined Eddie will die. They're two sides of the same coin which makes for great drama and fantastic comedic moments. I love Hugh Jackman; like I just want to be his friend. He's great in everything he does. You'd think that after playing Wolverine seven times that we'd only see him as such, but he does such a great job falling into his roles that you really believe in his performance...even if his American accent is a bit dodgy at times, lol. There is a great supporting cast in the film, but everything really hinges on Jackman and Egerton, who in my book steals the show.
 
   If you haven't heard anything about this film, then I'm glad that I can be your first stepping stone in becoming enlightened about it. If you have and you're unsure, I can honestly tell you that you'll really enjoy this movie. Olympic ski jumping is a freakin' crazy sport, and the depiction of it in the movie is really exciting. You get the sense of danger and anticipation that comes when men are flying through the air, hoping to stick the landing rather than a hospital bed. You cringe with the falls and cheer with the triumphs, a credit to the filmmakers who through their great writing, directing, and overall production, gives us a really well done, fun and entertaining movie. You gotta check out "Eddie the Eagle". You won't be disappointed.


Eddie the Eagle opens in theaters February 26.

Comments

Popular Reviews

Quarantine Movie Round-Up #3

Jackman Shines in the Captivating Musical "The Greatest Showman"

A Secret Sequel and A Couple of Oscar Noms!