Rogue One - A Worthy Spinoff that Delivers - SPOILER REVIEW

Image result for rogue one official movie pics 2016

   If you were to ask me if I was more excited for either The Force Awakens or Rogue One, I don't know if I could answer you. The Force Awakens rode heavily on the nostalgia factor and for that reason alone it garnished loads of anticipation from both me and everyone else in the world. With Rogue One we enter this new realm of the Star Wars legacy in that for the first time we have a Star Wars movie that isn't a saga episode, nor does it focus on the Skywalker family soap opera. Rogue One is something new, something fresh, and it's bloody brilliant. I went into this movie with heated anticipation to see just how much this movie connected with the established narrative. Instead I found myself focused on the characters and the story presented, allowing the minor callbacks to past films to garnish the zesty meal of a movie before my eyes. Rogue One will surprise you, it will tap the Star Wars nostalgia button deep down in your psyche, and then gut-punch you with such veracity that you'll be shaken, and thankfully so.

   *SPOILERS AHEAD*

   Rogue One takes place just before A New Hope. We learn how the Rebellion gains the plans to the Death Star in order to destroy it. That's all you really need to know story wise, in a nutshell. The trailers do a fantastic job of setting up the story for you. What I think is important to focus on is just how different this movie is from the other Star Wars films. If you are a fan of the franchise you will lose your mind over this movie. For the first time in eight films we have a Star Wars movie that heavily emphasizes the "war" aspect. There is a lot of action in this movie, a lot of violent deaths, and gritty imagery. The way I see it, Rogue One isn't a Star Wars movie, it's a war movie set in the universe of Star Wars. It's dark, gritty, visceral, intense, violent, and it goes places with the story and the characters that you would not expect. As I write this, I feel as if this particular review won't be like my others. I think this might be more of a gush-fest. I'll do my best to stay focused, lol. I will be delving into spoiler territory, however, so if you haven't watched the movie yet, maybe hold off on reading any further, then come back.

   I was so pumped after watching this movie, I kinda felt the urge to go home and watch A New Hope afterward, because this movie blends so seamlessly into it. At the end of The Revenge of the Sith, it was as if they went out of their way to set up the future movies with Obi-Wan and the separation of the twins. This movie doesn't feel like it was shoehorned into the overall narrative. There's a sense of urgency to this movie, and its overall execution makes it a pivotal point to the entire narrative. There are certain scenes that seamlessly connect everything, like with Bail Organa talking with Mon Mothma about his old Jedi friend that helped during the Clone Wars, and that his daughter was the one he trusted most to deliver these plans; little things like that show a sense of connectivity rather than being merely placed in to serve the fan. What I also thought was really well done was the overall character development. Jyn Erso (Felicity Jones) is our central character. Her father helped build the Death Star, a man she's been estranged from for fifteen years, and she's lost in this galaxy of political strife. The movie takes its time to allow her to realize the importance of the Rebellion rather than having her just accept the things that are happening so willy-nilly. By allowing the characters time to evolve, the story becomes more riveting.

Image result for rogue one official movie pics 2016

   I'm just going to save time and say that the acting across the board is phenomenal. It's true, everyone does a fantastic job. What I enjoyed most about this cast is the overall diversity. This is probably the most diverse cast in any Star Wars movie to date, and it was such an amazing thing to watch. There are some stand-out performances that I'm sure people will be talking about for quite awhile. Chirrut (Donnie Yen) and Baze (Wen Jiang) are a dynamic duo that brings comedy, levity, and insane amounts of action. Though there really is no Jedi influence in this film, Chirrut is sort of our Yoda in this movie. He's our connection to the Force that really grounds the story within the frame narrative of the entire saga. He's blind and he's a bad-ass. So is Baze for that matter. Both of these guys are great, but the true stand out for me was the duo of Cassian Andor (Diego Luna) and K-2SO (Alan Tudyk). Diego Luna brings so many layers to Cassian. He's a rebel captain that struggles with his place within the Rebellion and decides to help Jyn in her mission. Luna is able to walk that gray area. Cassian kills a man the first time we see him, and you question whether he's a good guy or bad guy. Ultimately you realize that the rebels will do anything if it means taking down the Empire. That gray area is emphasized as an important aspect of the film, adding realism to the stakes of the story. Cassian's buddy is a re-programed Imperial droid named K-2SO who steals every scene he's in. Alan Tudyk does a fantastic job and really brings a new lovable character to life. He is witty, pretentious at times, and has some of the funniest lines in the film. K-2SO will soon become a fan-favorite alongside C-3PO, R2-D2, and BB-8 for sure.

   As I said earlier, there will be spoilers, and the three biggest ones in my book deal with characters. There are a couple of old characters from past films, Tarkin and Leia, that make appearances in this one, but due to obvious reasons the use of CGI is present to make them look younger. At times the CGI looks really good, and at times it looks really bad. That being said, it's still fun to see these characters back on the big screen. There is a larger-scaled character aspect that I could not go without addressing it, and that is: everybody dies. No joke, literally every main character we follow from beginning to end dies in this movie, and I applaud that choice whole-heartily. I like it simply because Disney had the balls to do it. It's a narrative choice that I think makes total sense, and though it may come off as controversial to some audiences, I am so glad this happened. (Sheesh, I sound so morbid!) As a one-off film, there was no need to keep anyone around. We know where this story goes, and by killing everyone it gives their deeds a much more emotional impact than if there were survivors. For once, in eight movies, the stakes seem real. Don't get me wrong, I love Star Wars, but sometimes the fantastical nature of its narrative magic lends to a lighter sense of stakes. This movie grounds the franchise while also heightening it.

Image result for rogue one official movie pics 2016

   This movie is just awesome from top to bottom. There are some pacing issues at times, but overall I loved this movie. But, I can't not talk about this movie without addressing the heavy-breathing elephant in the room. The last thing I'll say about this movie is also the most awesome: DARTH MOTHER-EFFIN' VADER!! Yes, Vader is in the movie, but for only like a total of five minutes. But, it's the last 45 seconds or so that really matter. Rogue One will always have a special place in my heart because it has my all-time favorite scene in any Star Wars movie to date. Darth Vader goes off on some rebels, showcasing his dynamic power and efficiency with his light saber. I was in awe throughout the entire sequence. It's the Vader we all wanted, and it was glorious beyond all reckoning. That precious minute alone is worth the price of admission.

   Rogue One is a new kind of Star Wars movie. It had a big job ahead of it, being the first spin off, and it delivers in spades. I think fans of the franchise will thoroughly enjoy it, and I think the casual viewer will be entertained as well. Be aware though, this movie is one of the more darker Star Wars films, and it definitely earns its PG-13 rating. It is within its differences from the overall saga films that this movie truly shines. Director Gareth Edwards has accomplished quite a feat, and I tip my hat to the guy. In the end, this movie gives me more confidence in both Disney and Lucasfilm to deliver awesome films outside of the established saga. It's truly an exciting time to be a movie fan.

Comments

Popular Reviews

Quarantine Movie Round-Up #3

Jackman Shines in the Captivating Musical "The Greatest Showman"

A Secret Sequel and A Couple of Oscar Noms!