The Powerful and Harrowing Film "Wind River" is One of 2017's Best

Image result for wind river official movie pics 2017

   Movies are my jam. The whole point of this blog was to have a place where I can express my views on movies that I see because I was annoying the heck out of my family with my high-octane, overly-optimistic verbal reviews. I absorb the movie culture like a sponge, from movie news to trailers and commercials for upcoming movies and so on. When I go into a film, I usually know something about it prior to that viewing. That knowledge doesn't really sway my experience because at the end of the day, the cinema is my Fortress of Solitude, and I'll enjoy the experience whether the movie was good or not. Why I'm rambling on and on here will get to a point, I promise. So, last night - as I do just about every Thursday night - I ventured to my local theater and decided to watch a movie I knew nothing about save for who was in it. I've gone into a movie blind before, and I'll tell you, it can be pretty refreshing. I purchased a ticket to see Wind River, knowing only that Hawkeye and Scarlett Witch where in it. As the credits began to roll at the end of the film, I had a hard time getting out of my seat. No, it's not because the large burrito I ate before had weighed me down. This movie shook me...and I had to process it before I even thought about moving. I'll say this at the top: go see this movie. It's one of the best films I've seen in 2017 hands down.

     An FBI agent (Elizabeth Olsen) ventures into the cold of Wyoming to investigate a murder that occurred on a Native American reservation. She enlists the help of the town's veteran game tracker (Jeremy Renner), an outsider who has been accepted into the community. His job is to hunt down predators that are attacking livestock, etc., and while out on a job he comes across the barefoot, frozen body of a Native American woman. On the surface this movie is primarily a murder-mystery, but at its core this movie is a drama about a man coming to terms with his haunting and heart-breaking past. In turn this movie is also the story of a group of people, in this case Native Americans, and their drastic mistreatment by the government. This movie is powerful in its telling, holding nothing back, while delivering grounded reality at every turn. Like I said, this movie shook me in a profound way, and I think it will for most people because what this movie does is more than just tell a story. It's delivery of said story is what will captivate you.

   Writer/director Taylor Sheridan, who wrote Sicario and Hell or High Water, delivers a film with haunting dialogue, insanely beautiful cinematography, and a well-paced gut-wrenching narrative. He was able to capture the feel of the location, using it as almost a character in and of itself. You feel for the people on this reservation, what they have to go through on a day to day basis when the country's government of which they live ceases to do much to help. The brutal situations these people are faced with are insane when you consider that this movie takes place in present day. The way Sheridan decides to showcase these living conditions is very poignant to the narrative as a whole, and I'm not just referencing the physical aspects, but also the social and psychological ramifications of living in a place that feels constricted, even claustrophobic. You feel that as an audience member and that speaks volumes to the overall experience you will have, as well as to the talent of the filmmaker and everyone else involved.

Image result for wind river official movie pics 2017
 
   The cast is great, and there are some truly amazing performances in this movie that really floored me. Elizabeth Olsen is the fish out of water character and she does a great job of grounding her character in the situation. She's also a well-written character, and you can see Olsen really taking that on and bringing her A-game. The supporting cast is equally great, with outstanding performances from Graham Greene who plays the reservation's police chief, and Gil Birmingham who plays the father of the murdered woman. Birmingham has only a few scenes in the film, but they are some of the most powerful scenes in the movie. I was riveted by his performance. All that being said, the stand out for me was Jeremy Renner. I was completely floored by his performance. His character has a lot of baggage in the film, baggage relevant to the story. His haunted past is plastered on his face, without making reference to it. The pain and anguish is evident, and Renner slips into this role and completely loses himself in it. The guy is fantastic, and I'm 100% confident when I say that this is by and large his greatest performance to date, and one worthy of an Oscar nomination, at least.

   Wind River is a powerful story that has a profound message that is delivered organically. You never feel like you're being beaten over the head with a specific message. The movie unfolds in a way that allows you to experience the full gauntlet of emotions. You'll feel the full weight of that gauntlet as a final, enlightening text appears at the end of the movie. I was shocked. This movie is beautifully shot, well-written, well-acted, and just all-around a fantastic film. Easily one of the best I've seen all year, top ten for sure. If you get a chance to see it, please do so. It had a limited release up till now and should be playing to a wider audience this weekend. From top to bottom, this movie is great. I enjoyed not knowing a thing about it going in and it made for a truly refreshing experience. Will I do that now with every movie? Probably not. But it's nice to try once in a while. With how great Wind River is though, it won't matter if you watch a trailer or not before seeing it. The power of this movie is in the experience, and I highly recommend experiencing it.

Comments

Popular Reviews

Quarantine Movie Round-Up #3

Jackman Shines in the Captivating Musical "The Greatest Showman"

A Secret Sequel and A Couple of Oscar Noms!