Time for a Recap!


    It's been a while since I've reviewed anything! Doesn't mean I haven't made it out to the cinema though! I figured since I had a moment I'd share some thoughts I've had on some of the more recent films that have come out. So, this won't necessarily be a full length review for these films. This fall has had some really interesting films get released and as of the publishing of this post, the Stephen King adaptation of IT is still going strong, beating out the new Tom Cruise flick American Made to take the top spot at the box office, again. So, without further adieu, here are my latest viewings.

Image result for mother! movie pics   

There has been a host of criticism for the new Darren Aronofsky picture mother! and boy has it made the rounds! Critics have been polarized by this movie and I had been itching to see it from the moment I first saw the trailer. Well, I finally got to see it and...it's out there. The movie is about a couple's relationship as it is tested when uninvited guests arrive at their home, disrupting their tranquil existence. That's about as plain as one can get. The movie is a gigantic allegory for multiple themes, with Havier Bardem representing God and Jennifer Lawrence representing Mother Nature, apparently. There are a host of Biblical representations and imagery that boasts this movie into a realm all its own. It's a bit pretentious and down right disturbing at times. The marketing for this movie was way off. The movie they sold in the trailers is not the movie you'll see, and honestly I don't know how you could market this movie successfully. I will say though that this movie was brilliantly shot and acted, and the artsy-fartsy aspect of this movie is really like nothing we've seen in a while. I think though that you'll either really like it or really hate it. At any rate, good or bad, the movie will make you feel...something. As for this critic, I applaud the audacity and I didn't mind it's extreme nature.
Related image   

American Assassin was a pretty good action thriller. Dylan O'Brien plays Mitch who, after the death of his girlfriend at the hands of Islamic terrorists, is drawn into the world of counter-terrorism, mentored by tough-as-nails former U.S. Navy SEAL Stan Hurley played amazingly by Michael Keaton. The action is great, the story is engaging, but the real shiny aspect of this movie is the acting. O'Brien is really great as the lead, bringing the emotion and heart into a tragic role. Michael Keaton is amazing in anything he does and he is really great here. If you haven't had a chance to catch this one, American Assassin is one of the better action/thrillers out there and is definitely one to check out.
Related image

The Lego Ninjago Movie is pure magic. It's Power Rangers meets LEGO, meets awesomeness. Honestly, it's a lot of fun. Similar to the narrative formula from the previous two LEGO movies, this one melds aspects of both into its own fresh narrative spin. Great voice cast, great action, hilarious to boot, and the animation is truly stunning. If you're a fan of this franchise, check it out. Great for the whole family or for a single watch...like unto myself...who had an entire theater to himself...and it was glorious.



Image result for kingsman the golden circle gif
 

 Lastly, Kingsman: The Golden Circle was as awesome as I had expected. The first one was a major success, completely surprising audiences all over with it's audacious action, comedy, over-the-top violence, and cheeky winks at other action franchises like James Bond. The cast returns in this once again over-the-top narrative that brings the wonderfulness of the secret service known as the Kingsmen to the states as they team up with their American sister service, the Statesmen. It's been out now for a few weeks so I'll spare you a plot recap. If you've seen the first movie and loved it, I'd be hard pressed to think that you'd feel differently about the sequel. It's insanely funny, action-packed and ridiculously fun. I enjoyed myself thoroughly with this movie and I think most people will too.

   Well, it's not my best review work, but I felt like I hadn't posted in a while (which was true) and thought I'd share a few thoughts. Informal, but there you go. Till next time.

Comments

Popular Reviews

Quarantine Movie Round-Up #3

Jackman Shines in the Captivating Musical "The Greatest Showman"

A Secret Sequel and A Couple of Oscar Noms!