The Optimist's 2017 Top 11 List


Image result for 2017 movie collage
 
   2017 has been a pretty great year for film, and although I didn't get to see everything, I was still blessed to be able to see quite a bit. For this list I've tried to compile the top ten films that I thoroughly enjoyed, that were outstanding pieces of art, and that left an impression on me. These movies stuck with me long after watching them, and for that reason it was tough to narrow it down. I couldn't whittle it to ten, but I was ultimately able to finalize the list. Unlike last year, I attempted to list them in order of personal preference. Just note that I love all of these movies and would re-watch them over and over again. But, as I sat back and thought about it, there are ones I would watch more often than others. So, for your viewing pleasure, here is The Optimist's 2017 Top Eleven Films of the Year!


11. Dunkirk 


Image result for dunkirk official movie wallpaper 2017
 
 A technical tour de force, this movie confused me, excited me, thrilled me, lifted me out of my seat, and awed me all within it's hefty run time. What Christopher Nolan did with this movie was nothing short of brilliant. Weaving in and out of separate narrative threads, only to bring them all together in the end, it was like watching something familiar but new unfold before my eyes. Very few movies have been as engaging and as immersive as this one, for Nolan spares no expense in gripping the audience and placing them straight into the action, horror, and emotional tension that come from war. Every frame of this movie is meticulously crafted and professionally integrated in a beautiful, seamless, visceral manner that is very much connected with the style of Nolan's work. As one of the best working directors of our day, this is by far one of his best. From the acting to the direction and everything in between, you couldn't ask for a better crafted film, one that takes advantage of the medium to deliver something poignant, epic, horrific, and beautiful.



10. Baby Driver
Image result for baby driver movie pics
 
   Edgar Wright is a pure genius, through and through. This movie is an absolute joy to behold from beginning to end. The music is astounding, the editing, pacing, and direction is stylistically unique. It has stand-out performances from Ansel Elgort and Lily James, which carry the brunt of the narrative. The meticulous timing in the editing is so refreshing and clean that it just feels...right. If you happened to miss this little number, I highly encourage you to rectify that situation and check it out as soon as you can. It's entertainment at its best.



9. Wonder Woman


Related image
 
   Warner Bros. and DC did it. They made a superhero movie that wasn't brooding, that was cohesive and understandable; one that happens to be critically-acclaimed and positively reviewed. The time has come to celebrate! After 75 years, Wonder Woman has finally been brought to the silver screen in her own superhero film and it is nothing short of amazing. When you can leave a theater feeling good and inspired by what you just saw, that speaks volumes to the merit of the film. Wonder Woman surpasses the notion of just being a superhero film. It is a triumphant, inspiring, engaging movie that oozes entertainment. With great acting, fantastic cinematography, and a message that is hopeful, epic, and relevant, this movie will stand the test of time as being one of the best comic book movies ever made. A lofty claim, I know, but I'm stickin' to it. I had so much fun with this film. Gal Gadot IS Wonder Woman, and I continuously tip my hat to director Patty Jenkins for absolutely killing it with this movie. Can't wait for the sequel!



8. War for the Planet of the Apes

Image result for war for the planet of the apes official movie wallpaper 2017

   This movie is a masterclass in film-making on many levels, despite it being the third film of its franchise. Director Matt Reeves delivers what is arguably the best of the trilogy with this film. War explores not just the violence and tension of war, but the psychological and emotional ramifications of war. The character of Caesar is one that will not be forgotten any time soon. Arguably some of Andy Serkis' best work with motion capture, he - alongside Reeves - delivers a protagonist in Caesar that is relatable, memorable, and epic in every way. The special effects in this movie are some of the best I have ever seen. There were honestly moments as I watched War where I forgot the apes were computer-generated. Also, when a movie can spend 97% of the run time telling the story through visual imagery rather than exposition, it's down right impressive. I love this entire trilogy; for me it's second in awesomeness to the epic trilogy that is The Lord of the Rings. War is the best of the three, and is truly a work of art.



7. The Shape of Water

Image result for the shape of water official movie wallpaper 2017

    Guillermo del Toro's mystical fairytale blew me away. I have been a fan of del Toro's for a long time, and there really hasn't been anything he's done that I haven't liked. He's one of those directors who has a distinct style that is completely their own, a style that can easily be spotted amongst the rest. This film is, in a word, magical. Sally Hawkins gives an amazing performance as a mute janitor who falls for an aquatic entity similar to the creature from the black lagoon. del Toro weaves a story about acceptance, love, and courage amidst the backdrop of the rigid-minded 1950s. del Toro's imagery is almost lyrical in its beauty, and he doesn't allow that imagery to take over the narrative. They work together to tell a story that is unique, heart-warming, and full of hope. This movie was a surprise to me, and I knew the moment the credits began to roll that this was making my list. If you haven't seen it, do so.



6. Wind River


   I'm gonna be cheesy here and quote directly from my review of this movie posted on August 25: "This movie shook me...and I had to process it before I even thought about moving. I'll say this at the top: go see this movie. It's one of the best films I've seen in 2017 hands down." I stand by this statement still today. Jeremy Renner gives the best performance of his career as a game tracker on a Native American reservation. The harrowing tale about loss, grief, redemption, and hope streaming through this film is one that left me emotionally, physically, and mentally shook. Writer/director Taylor Sheridan, who wrote Sicario and Hell or High Water, delivers a film with haunting dialogue, insanely beautiful cinematography, and a well-paced gut-wrenching narrative. See this movie. I implore you, SEE THIS MOVIE! This was another surprise hit for me. I went into this movie knowing nothing about it and I left feeling like I watched something truly special.



5. Get Out

Image result for get out official movie wallpaper 2017

   A twisted fish-out-of-water tale, Get Out satirizes certain stereotypes that exist, both concerning black and white people alike, while delivering a creepy, as well as hilarious film that I am sure will become a cult classic quicker than you might think. What is great about this movie is the brave perspective the narration takes. We don't see this kind of storytelling in genre films very much, and when a good one comes along it's worth every penny to watch it. The writing and directing is really well done. There are some extremely interesting shots that capture the creepy elements to the story. I gotta hand it to Jordan Peele. He was able to craft a horror film that works, while maintaining his own voice throughout the narrative. The message is strong, but not over-the-top, however the execution is quite over-the-top, as most horror movies are. As a directorial debut, this movie (which came out at the beginning of the year, so almost a year ago) is STILL being discussed today. It's truly awesome.


4. IT (2017)

Related image

   I LOVED THIS MOVIE!! I'll admit I was expecting to be scared out of my mind from this film, but I wasn't...and I'm glad. Too many horror movies these days tend to spend more time on the scares and less on the story. That being said, people get scared by different things. There is so much heart to the story that it beautifully captures the innocence of childhood wonder and the scary aspects of growing up in the midst of traumatic experiences. Pennywise as a character is an interesting amalgamation of imagery, fear, terror, and other-worldly-ness. The way director Andy Muschietti uses him is as brilliant as King's use in the novel. Bill Skarsgård's performance as The Dancing Clown in this movie will be ingrained in the minds of audiences forever. It truly is one of  the most exciting, artistic, creepy, unnerving, disturbing performances of recent recollection and I am so stoked to have been able to witness it. Skarsgård's collaboration with Muschietti has given us an iconic movie villain not to be forgotten.




3. Logan

Image result for logan official movie wallpaper 2017

   This film, another early 2017 arrival,  transcends the comic book genre in every way, and it blew all my expectations out of the water. From the tone, to the violence, to the overall narrative execution, this movie champion's the notion that comic book movies don't have to be one-note. In many ways, this movie felt more like a western than a comic book movie. Hugh Jackman gives his best performance as Wolverine, and arguable one of his best performances in any film to date. The character of Wolverine has been with us (at least the big screen version) since the early 2000s. Jackman has spent 17 years portraying this character and we as an audience have been waiting for the day when the animalistic essence of the character would be portrayed in all his bloody glory. This movie is Jackman's swan song for comic book movies, and it's Wolverine's final bow...for now. The gritty, violent end is not without its emotional depth. This movie is aware of what it is, and what it is is nothing short of brilliant film making.



2. Split

Split (2017) | M. Night Shyamalan Horror Movie Review | Heaven of Horror


   I will be the first to champion M. Night Shyamalan, no matter how bad his movies are! I love this guy and the twisted stuff he comes up with! Though he's been disregarded by critics and fans as of late, his last few films has seen his gradual rise back into the limelight. This film is Shyamalan back in form. It's a twisted tale with an ending that makes it even better. Without that ending, this movie still stands as an awesome film. The only unfortunate thing is that James McAvoy's outstanding performance in playing 24 different people will probably go unnoticed during awards season. Personally I think McAvoy deserves recognition for this performance because it's absolutely his best, in my book. Fans of Shyamalan can rejoice with the success of this movie, for with it comes a "sequel" that we all didn't know we wanted, but are going to get anyway. If you don't know what I mean, then you're just missing out! (Go watch Unbreakable, then Split, then you'll know. Spoilers, I suppose? It's been almost a year, so don't be mad).


1. Star Wars: The Last Jedi

Related image

   This might be a divisive pick, it surely has been a divisive movie, but after a lot of thought I couldn't place this in any other spot. I love every movie on this list, and if I had the choice to watch any of these films right this minute, I would choose The Last Jedi without a second thought. The movie is epic beyond belief. Rian Johnson made some ballsy decisions with the narrative that a lot of people were not too happy about. I think that comes from the fact that this movie is by far one of the deepest Star Wars movies ever made. It not only questions the mythology of Star Wars, but questions the importance of mythology in general. It pushes the franchise into a fresh and new perspective that allows for some really intense and creative storytelling. The acting is superb; I think Mark Hamill should be praised for the icon that he is, and that his performance as Luke Skywalker in this film should be considered for award nomination. I truly believe that. By taking the tropes we've come to expect and then flipping them on its head...brilliant. There are some amazing scenes in this movie that have stuck with me from the first viewing. If you want to know my full views on this film you can check out my review here. At the end of the day, The Last Jedi was my favorite film of the year, and I could see it a hundred times back to back and love it more and more with each viewing.


So, there you have it! It's been quite a year for film, and I can't wait to see what 2018 has in store! Happy New Year to you and yours, and may 2018 be as epic for film as ever before!

Comments

Popular Reviews

Quarantine Movie Round-Up #3

Jackman Shines in the Captivating Musical "The Greatest Showman"

A Secret Sequel and A Couple of Oscar Noms!