The Optimist's Top 10 Favs of 2018

     Another year has come and gone, and with it a slew of awesome (and not so awesome) movies! 2018 featured some of the greatest pieces of cinema to date, with story arcs that have been building over many years, to new and excitingly original stories for the masses. It’s no small thing to say that I love movies, and the cinema is my home away from home. I’ve really enjoyed this year’s bout of films, and though there were many, only a few have risen to the top of my list. For this year’s list, I’m not sharing, necessarily, what I think were the “best” films of 2018, but ones that ended up being my favorites of the year. Coincidentally, a lot of these picks I could easily argue were some of 2018’s best and will probably be talked about in depth come award season. At any rate, here is my Top 10 of 2018, in no particular order.


Annihilation 

Related image

When you go to the movies, or at least when I go to the movies, I want to be transported away. Movies are pure escapism, set within an art form that is compelling from multiple angles. This movie absolutely blew me away when I first watched it, so much so that I had to see it again right away, which I did the very next day. This movie is sci-fi at its best. The story is compelling, the music and sound are incredible, the visuals are a feast for the eyes, the acting and cinematography are both fantastic, and I highly recommend this film, one gazillion percent! Saw it twice, blew my mind both times, and it’s one that has sat with me all year long, and one that I still think and ponder about today.


Black Panther

Image result for black panther official movie pics 2018

As comic book movies go, I don’t think any of them has hit as hard culturally, politically, and artistically as this movie did. The minds behind the making of the film didn’t even know it would be as big a hit as it was. It's a gorgeously shot film that is vibrant, contains superb acting, insane action, clever writing, amazing music, with emotion dripping out the wazoo, and a message that could not be more relevant. I honestly can't think of one thing I didn't like about this movie (which most people who know me might think that's just par for the course), but in all seriousness I literally enjoyed every minute. Having come out in February, it feels almost forever ago when it came out, but it still sits as one of Marvel’s best, and is deserving of as many awards as it can muster, including a Best Picture nom (it won’t win, but it deserves the recognition).


A Quiet Place

Image result for a quiet place movie pics

I would argue that A Quiet Place is one of the best films of the year, bar none. Not only is it an effective, original horror film, but it's just an overall fantastic film altogether. You become so invested with the characters, the environment that they live in, and the dangers that surround them, that you can’t help but feel including in the chaos. That’s just great art if you ask me. That immersive investment lifts the narrative above simply being a conventional horror film. John Krasinski was able to harness the same articulate craft used behind the camera to influence his acting, and he's really great in the film. Emily Blunt is a tried and true powerhouse of an actress, and she is also outstanding. The creature design and sound design are also really fantastic. If, for whatever reason, you haven’t seen this movie, do yourself the favor and watch it. It’s awesome.


Avengers: Infinity War

Avengers: Infinity War

The fact that this movie even exists is beyond comprehension. When considering the vast amount of characters, tones, arcs, and narratives that needed to be included, it’s almost impossible to think that something of this magnitude would ever work, but it does. Marvel has made history, and with each passing day it continues to make history. I know I get razzed for liking every movie I see, so when I say that I love this movie, that sentiment might fall on the deaf ears of those who know me. But believe me when I say, as a fan of these films and as a fan of film in general, I am so thankful I got to see this. That experience of sitting in the theater for the first viewing, having spent the better part of April marathoning the entire cinematic universe in preparation, I’ll never forget it. This movie is one of a kind. Is it perfect? No movie is. But this isn’t like any other movie. It’s not overstating it that Marvel has changed the game with this film. Avengers: Infinity War was one of the greatest movie-going experiences I’ve ever had, and I cannot wait for Avengers: Endgame this next April!


Hereditary 


Image result for hereditary official movie pics 2018


    Words can hardly express the love I have for this movie. What really makes this movie interesting is that it feels more like a tense family drama with scary stuff that happens, rather than your typically run-of-the-mill horror movie. It’s a slow-burn, with rising tension that creeps up on you until all hell breaks loose in the third act. This movie caught me off guard, so much so that I had to really decompress during the credits in order to wrap my head around what exactly I had just seen. One of the better films to have come out this year for sure, and for horror fans this movie will not disappoint. Every aspect of this movie is top notch. However, what stands out the most is the production and the acting. The camera work is astounding, the powerful use of silence is nerve-wracking, and the interspersing of unsettling imagery is nothing short of masterful. Toni Collette deserves an Oscar nom for her performance in this movie, which was probably one of the best performances of the year, for sure the best I’ve seen from her.


BlacKkKlansman 

Image result for blackkklansman movie pics

This movie was straight up insane, and again, easily one of the best films I've seen this year. Based on a crazy true story, director Spike Lee proves with this new joint of his that those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it. While the film features more comedy than I had originally anticipated, it also gets its serious message across extremely well. With killer performances from every member of the cast, a beautiful production and direction, and an ending that will punch you in the gut and leave your jaw dropping to the floor, this movie should not be missed. It’s a perfect representation of film as art, despite being just a piece of commercial entertainment. I think this film is powerful, relevant, and easily deserves Oscar noms and potential wins for Best Picture and Best Director.


A Star is Born

A-Star-is-Born-Trailer

Little known truth about The Optimist: I’m a Lady Gaga fan. I think she’s a multi-faceted artist with a butt-load of talent, whose music speaks to a wide demographic, and is entertaining to boot. Her pairing with Bradley Cooper in this remake of a remake of a remake was brilliant. The story is nothing new, but the refreshing take is what gives this movie its initial jolt of life. The original music is fantastic, the musical performances are wonderful (Gaga is amazing, duh, but who knew Cooper had pipes?!), and the acting is next-level, especially for Cooper. I think Lady Gaga gives her best acting performance here, though her filmography is limited. She kills it on screen, and the chemistry she has with Cooper is palpable. Speaking of Cooper, the guy deserves every Oscar under the sun for this piece; acting, directing, give him all of them. This movie stuck with me days after viewing it, and I can’t recommend it enough.


Green Book


Based on the true story, this movie was a pure delight. Viggo Mortensen gives one of his best performances to date in this movie as a working-class Italian-American bouncer who becomes the driver of an African-American classical pianist (Mahershala Ali) on a tour of venues through the 1960s American South. There is so much heart and emotion to this movie, it was hard not to get wrapped up in it. Ali delivers a powerful performance alongside Mortensen, and it’s the relationship between these two men that hold the story down. This movie is about friendship, and the lasting power it has amidst a world that shunned a friendship like theirs. It’s a relevant story for today, told in a way that wasn’t blatant or over the top. The cinematography in this film is stunning, and the overall experience one has with this film is a true testament of the culmination of talent and skill it took to make it. If you haven’t seen this movie yet, you need to. It’s going to get a ton of award buzz, and rightfully so. It’s fantastic.


Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse


I was genuinely surprised with just how good this movie was. In my book, it’s the best Spider-Man movie ever, second to what I think is the best, Spider-Man: Homecoming. This movie is the closest thing we’ll get to watching a real comic book play out on screen. The voice cast was perfect, the action was wicked cool, the story is emotionally-driven yet engaging and inclusive. Overall, the film is funny, heart-warming, cleverly-written, and insanely entertaining from start to finish. The animation is equally astounding, almost jaw-dropping at times with how great it is. It’s easily the front-runner for Best Animated Feature this year. Sony hasn’t done much right when it comes to their Marvel properties, but they hit a massive home run with this one. Go see this in theaters if you haven’t already, and if you have, see it again. I saw it twice and each time was just as exciting.


Aquaman


Say what you will about DC and their latest batch of films within their flailing cinematic universe, but I’ve enjoyed all of them for various reasons (yes, even Suicide Squad). Some are better than others, there’s no denying that. Yet critically they’ve been able to squeak out a couple of really great films. But I have to say, not to take away from the amazing achievement and cinematic awesomeness of certain DC successes before it (I’m talking to you, Wonder Woman), but Aquaman is easily my favorite DCEU film to date and probably their best overall...even over Wonder Woman. Jason Momoa IS Aquaman, and he gives a really great performance in his standalone feature. This movie knows what it is and embraces the craziness in a way that isn’t overly campy. The real hero with this film, though, is director James Wan, whose vision is on vivid display in every frame. This movie is a feast for the eyes, and I absolutely loved every single minute of this movie.


     So, there you have it. I was fortunate to see a lot of movies this year, and I hope to see even more in 2019. It was tough to decide on ten, there were so many fantastic movies to choose from! I didn’t see everything 2018 had to offer, but from what I did see, these were my favorite. I’ll include an Honorable Mention list at the end here of the ones that didn’t make the list but shouldn’t be disregarded. That being said, bring on 2019! Already there are so many potentially great films on my radar for the new year! With the rising change in how we view our entertainment, I would encourage you all to make it out to the cinema! There’s nothing like it. 


Honorable Mentions:

Game Night
Upgrade
Incredibles 2
Sorry To Bother You
Mission: Impossible – Fallout
Christopher Robin
First Man
Bad Times at the El Royale
Crazy Rich Asians
Halloween (2018)
Bohemian Rhapsody
Creed II
Bird Box

Comments

Popular Reviews

Quarantine Movie Round-Up #3

Jackman Shines in the Captivating Musical "The Greatest Showman"

A Secret Sequel and A Couple of Oscar Noms!