"Captain Marvel" is Here...Thanos Should be Worried

Related image

    I assume that, like most movie-goers today, the opening of a new Marvel movie is not only a point of great excitement, but one of anticipatory intrigue. The interconnectivity of this cinematic universe has fundamentally changed the way we see superhero films, and Marvel has yet to have a financially unsuccessful outing. The introduction to Carol Danvers is one that comes with some intense weight and expectation. Avengers: Infinity War left audiences with their jaws dropped, minds blown, and a vicious need to know what happens next. Captain Marvel is an important movie in this regard, and I have to say, I enjoyed the heck out of it. It's in no way a perfect film, but it's easily one of the more entertaining superhero flicks that Marvel has produced, and a lot of that is credited to Brie Larson and Samuel L. Jackson.

     Here's what I'll say first, just to get it out of the way. I feel this movie deserves more than what it is given, and what I mean by that is its unfortunate placing within this cinematic universe. I have a feeling most people will go into this movie wanting only to see how in the heck this connects to Avengers: Endgame. Rather than walking in hoping to see a really great solo outing, the massive success of Infinity War, and the looming shadow of Endgame, might derail the perspective needed when viewing this movie. Now, this may not be true for everyone, but I'll admit, I was one of those people who wanted to see Avengers connections almost more than who or what Captain Marvel is in relation to it all. The timing of Endgame doesn't help either. Captain Marvel will barely be in its second month before Avengers: Endgame comes out, and when it does, I'm sure this movie will be completely forgotten. I hope that's not the case, because it's a really good film regardless of what it has to go up against. I didn't go into this movie with exceptionally high expectations, but I did go in expecting a good time, and I got one.

    There's nothing inherently new about the story here. It's sort of a fish-out-of-water tale with a badass woman with powers who, by the end of the movie, is still a badass, only slightly more badass-er. Carol Danvers (Brie Larson) is being heralded as the MCU's most powerful hero, and after seeing her in action it's hard not to argue. What the heck Thanos can do against her, I have no idea, but that's for a later discussion. The story arc of Carol Danvers is one with minimal change. She's a woman with a forgotten past who re-emerges with her more humanistic side and finds the strength to overcome the obstacles that lay before her. Again, nothing substantially new. But the performances in this film will keep you engaged despite the lack of a juicy story. Brie Larson is perfect in this role. She has this sass, strength, and subtle vulnerability that, even though Carol doesn't necessarily change a whole lot by the movie's end, makes her incredibly relatable. Larson's chemistry with Samuel L. Jackson is so freaking good it's disgusting. It was a trip to see a younger Nick Fury (with both of his eyes), and to see him play off of this strange visitor from space in Carol was just really fun. The CGI to de-age Jackson was amazing and easily the best use of this technique so far. There was this buddy-cop feel to their relationship, which played nicely into the nostalgic aspect of the 90s which the movie takes place. Lashana Lynch, who plays Danvers' best friend Maria Rambeau, was so good in this movie as well, and though her time was limited on screen, her performance left me wanting more from that character. That all being said, the standout for me was Ben Mendelsohn as the Skrull Talos. You'll see for yourself. Home run in my book.

   The action in this movie is really great, and the visual effects are awesome. This should be no surprise given Marvel's track record. The acting is great, the production of the movie was really engaging, but the writing was somewhat bland and the pacing seemed to drag just a wee bit in the middle, but I still found myself thoroughly entertained. I think on a second viewing I'll find the movie resonating even more. There is a great message about empowerment in this movie, and as a precursor to Avengers: Endgame I was pleased all around. The movie is incredibly fun and I cannot recommend it enough. There are two end credit scenes so be sure to hold out until the very end. Both are incredibly satisfying. I'm planning on seeing it again, as I'm sure many will. So go see it.

Comments

Popular Reviews

Quarantine Movie Round-Up #3

Jackman Shines in the Captivating Musical "The Greatest Showman"

A Secret Sequel and A Couple of Oscar Noms!