The Optimist's 2020 Top 10 - FAVORITES

Collage Show Tv Photos - Free & Royalty-Free Stock Photos from Dreamstime


Wow. 2020. We made it through this crazy year—take a moment to let that sink in. 


Despite all of the craziness, this year has seen a flurry of new films grace the big, and small, screens. As a movie-lover, I’ve been torn. I’ve missed going to the theater immensely, and yet I’ve also enjoyed the plethora of new films that have populated our streaming services. Though I would have preferred to see them ALL on the big screen, having new stories to experience in any form has been a wonderful, shining light to a year that was filled with so much uncertainty. Did I get around to seeing EVERYTHING that came out? Not at all. A valiant effort was made, I assure you. However, looking at 2020’s total offerings, I feel I’ve only scratched the surface. With that said, creating a “BEST OF” list seemed like a futile attempt. I mean, I suppose I could, but then once I see all the ones I missed, that list could quickly become irrelevant. 

 

So, as I reflected on the films I DID see this past year, I decided this list will be my top ten FAVORITES, meaning, these are the films that gave this movie-lover life! Some of them I would place in high ranks when considering the best movie of the year, and some of them are ridiculous picks that will never see the light of day when it comes to awards season. Regardless, these movies stuck with me for varying reasons. So again, these aren’t the Optimist’s picks for BEST MOVIES OF THE YEAR in regards to awards, but rather my personal favorites that should be championed. Enjoy!

 




10. The Invisible Man

 

Review: The Invisible Man


Back when theaters were still open, this movie was highly anticipated and one that I was excited to see. I’m a huge fan of director Leigh Whannell, whose work spans across years of horror icons. His direction within The Invisible Man is truly remarkable. In particular, there’s a jaw-dropping scene in a restaurant that I still think about from time to time. Elizabeth Moss gives a compelling performance, one of the year’s best in my opinion, and the movie’s take on a classic narrative is not only fresh and new but grounded and exciting. One of the few films I got to see in theaters before the world shut down, The Invisible Man is a creepy thriller that shouldn’t be missed.  

 




9. Tenet

 


Movie Review: At long last “Tenet” | Movie Nation


After seven months of not stepping into a movie theater, the first film I saw upon a brief reopening stint was Christopher Nolan’s Tenet. I’ve seen this movie twice, and the second viewing was much more pleasurable. Nolan’s tendency for originality is something I admire, but it’s also something that, for whatever reason, comes with a unique price tag. When you go into a Nolan film, you know you’re going to get a bombastic sound design, epic visuals, head-scratching narratives, and an entertaining ride, nonetheless. Tenet delivers all of this in spades, both good and bad. The dialogue in this movie is so hard to understand sometimes that it makes Bane from The Dark Knight Rises seem like an audible masterclass. After seeing it twice, I still think I missed some, and I don’t know why that is. The sound mixing is bizarre but not nearly as bizarre as the narrative itself. The concept of inversion within time is insanely cool, and it looks epically amazing on-screen…only I still have no idea how it works, haha! Upon first viewing, it took most of the movie for me to wrap my head around the concept. The second viewing made it easier, and I don’t think that’s necessarily a bad thing. I really dig movies that you learn more about and from with multiple viewings. It speaks to the longevity of the piece. The acting is great across the board, the visuals are stunning, especially with the ending. It’s a movie that would benefit from multiple viewings with the captions on, and even then, it’s still a unique experience. 

 




8. Vivarium

 

Vivarium Explained: Be Careful What You Wish For, It Might Be Aliens -  Signal Horizon Magazine


Imogen Poots and Jesse Eisenberg star as a young couple looking for their first home when they find themselves trapped in a mysterious labyrinth-like neighborhood of identical houses. I saw this movie early in the year and it still sits with me. There are days still when I think about the crazy, disturbing nature of this insane little film. Poots and Eisenberg both give outstanding performances within a story that is unsettling, to say the least. This is the perfect movie to watch at night, with the lights off, cuddled up with snacks, and an open mind. Writer/director Lorcan Finnegan weaves a harrowing tale about life, condensed in a wickedly unique and disturbingly contained film that will leave you jaw-dropped and shocked at times. The visuals are stunning—this is an extremely well-shot film with beautiful production, despite the level of consistency and monotony it may induce. Streaming on Amazon Prime, Vivarium is definitely one to check out, and easily one of the craziest films I’ve seen all year. Top of my quarantine list, for sure.

 




7. Da 5 Bloods


 Spike Lee's 'Da 5 Bloods' Streaming On Netflix | KPBS


Director Spike Lee’s latest film debuted on Netflix in June and is a film that has not left my mind. Spike Lee is an exceptional filmmaker and storyteller. Da 5 Bloods is an emotionally-charged story about four African American vets who battle the forces of man and nature when they return to Vietnam seeking the remains of their fallen squad leader and the gold fortune he helped them hide. The movie tackles a host of topics, from racism to PTSD, to the overall need to recognize equality and understanding in a world that currently seems to be blind to it. This movie dropped at a time that felt relevant and applicable. Obviously, Spike Lee had no idea what state the world would be in when he made the movie, but it still manages to resonate at such an insane level that it’s hard NOT recommending it. Lee has the tendency to include striking visuals in his films, and there are some truly unsettling pieces of real footage that he uses, especially in the beginning, that set the tone for what you’re about to see. The central cast, Clarke Peters, Norm Lewis, Isiah Whitlock Jr., Delroy Lindo, and Chadwick Boseman, deliver really great performances that really carry this movie. Delroy Lindo, especially, gives what I think is his best performance to date—a raw, exposed, and riveting performance of a man struggling with PTSD. I wouldn’t be surprised to see his name pop up when it comes to awards season. It truly blew me away. This movie is brilliant, harrowing, funny, moving, emotional, resonate, and worth the view.

 

 



6. Onward

 

Onward (2020) Review | Jason's Movie Blog


I love this movie. Simple as that. You know how when something just strikes the right chord you just become overwhelmingly obsessed with it? No? Just me? Anyway, that was this movie for me, for whatever reason. I don’t think there’s a movie I watched more this year than this one. It’s not the greatest movie ever made, nor is it the best Pixar movie that came out this year, but I still love it nonetheless. The story of Barley and Ian as they journey to see their father is a fun romp dripping with all those wonderful fantasy elements that just breed excitement. The central story about two brothers recognizing the importance of their relationship to each other, I think, struck a chord for me personally. I have a younger brother, and though our lives and our story growing up was nothing like that of Barley and Ian’s, it still resonated on an emotional level that hits me every time I watch it. It’s a hilarious film with wonderful performances from Tom Holland and Chris Pratt, and will forever be one of my favorite highlights from this year.

 




5. The Midnight Sky

 

The Midnight Sky (2020) Review - Review Nation


Probably the most recent film on this list, this shot to the top of my favs list for a few reasons. This post-apocalyptic tale follows Augustine (George Clooney), a lonely scientist in the Arctic, as he races to stop Sully (Felicity Jones) and her fellow astronauts from returning home to a mysterious global catastrophe. For starters, it was just really cool to see George Clooney in something again. Other than a brief stint on the mini-series Catch-22, Clooney hasn’t been in a movie since 2016’s Money Monster. He’s a profoundly talented actor and filmmaker, and we get the blessing of both with The Midnight Sky. Not only does Clooney star, but he also directs this epic tale of survival. How I wish I could have seen this on the big screen! This movie is a fantastic drama that asks poignant questions about life and survival while delivering some really tense moments that take place both on Earth and in space. The pacing at times could be tightened a bit, but it didn’t pull me out of the experience. I dug this movie more than I thought I would, and would easily go back for a second viewing. I wouldn’t be surprised to see this film amongst the discussion regarding technical awards come Oscar season, and rightfully so. It’s visually stunning. It’s on Netflix, so if you haven’t checked it out yet, give it a shot.

 

 



4. The Trial of the Chicago 7

 

The Trial of the Chicago 7 - Plugged In


Aaron Sorkin’s riveting direction and impeccable writing are on full display in this film about the 7 people on trial stemming from various charges surrounding the uprising at the 1968 Democratic National Convention in Chicago, Illinois. I didn’t know anything about this incident before watching, and I found the entire movie extremely compelling and insatiably engrossing. This was mostly due to the fantastic writing and brilliant performances. The central cast does a phenomenal job, however, it’s Sacha Baron Cohen who stands out amongst the rest. He’s had quite the year this year with this film and his Borat sequel (which was amazing by the way), and he easily steals the show with this one. I would imagine this movie could garner Best Picture buzz, but even if it doesn’t it’s still one of the best films I’ve seen this year.

 

 

 


3. Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom

 

Ma Rainey's Black Bottom (2020) - Movie Review : Alternate Ending


This movie will definitely garner Oscar buzz if it hasn’t already. Based on the Pulitzer Prize-winning play by August Wilson, Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom centers around a single recording session that takes place in Chicago, 1927. Tensions rise between Ma Rainey—played brilliantly by Viola Davis—and her ambitious horn player Levee and the white management determined to control the uncontrollable "Mother of the Blues." It’s a powerful story about racial tension and division, while also addressing the concepts of celebrity and fame. Viola Davis is a powerhouse actor, someone who always delivers a masterful performance in every project she’s in. She practically transforms into Ma Rainey here and she is intimidating beyond belief. Her powerful performance is rivaled only by that of the late Chadwick Boseman, who plays Levee, the horn player that clashes with Ma and the rest of the band. This was Boseman’s last performance before his passing, and watching it made me sad knowing that we won’t get to see his brilliance anymore. He’s left a legacy of work that will forever be remembered, and his work in this film will surely be towards the top of the heap. Boseman delivers two powerful monologues in this movie that are easily some of the best acting I’ve seen all year. If you haven’t had the chance to see the movie yet, it’s streaming on Netflix. See it as soon as you can.

 

 

 


2. Soul

 

BREAKING NEWS: New Trailer Just Dropped For Pixar's 'Soul' - MickeyBlog.com


Pixar has shown time after time that they can deliver the feels. Their ability to weave powerful narratives with wonderful animation is second to none. Soul tells the story of Joe Gardner (Jamie Foxx), a musician/music teacher who has lost his passion for music. When the biggest break of his life finally arrives, he unknowingly is transported out of his body and must find his way back with the help of an infant soul named 22 (Tina Fey) who is learning about herself. From the trailers, it might seem that this could be Pixar’s take on the afterlife, which is what I thought, but what this existential movie actually does is tackle universal themes of life, purpose, belonging, and self-worth without seeming preachy. It’s a beautiful tale about finding what’s important in life and seizing those moments, rather than succumbing to fear or doubt. It’s a truly breathtaking narrative told in a fun and clever way not unlike other Pixar films, only this is probably one of their best. The animation is beautiful and the music—my gosh—the score for this film is one of the best around. The voice performances from Foxx and Fey are fantastic, but it’s the narrative itself that takes the cake. I have a lot of favorite movies from this year, as this list indicates, but if I were to crown the “best” movie I’ve seen all year, it would be Soul, hands down.

 

 

Before I get to my number one pick I must remind you that this list is comprised of my “favorite” films of the year and does not reflect what I think is necessarily the “best” films of the year. I say this because my number one pick is nowhere near the “best” film of the year in regard to awards…but it is beyond a shadow of a doubt my absolute favorite movie of 2020. 







You ready?










Brace yourself...









 

 

1. Fatman

 

Fatman movie review & film summary (2020) | Roger Ebert


This movie BLEW MY MIND in all the right ways. Let’s just start with the premise, shall we? Mel Gibson (yes, Mel Gibson) stars as a rowdy, unorthodox Santa Claus who is fighting to save his declining business. What is that business? Why the toy factory of course! Christmas spirit is at an all-time low and continues to decline, and Santa—referred to mostly throughout the movie as Chris Cringle—has to deal with his place within a world that is constantly questioning his necessity, while also worrying about his elf "employees" that he cares so much about. To make ends meet, Santa reluctantly agrees to take on a military contract to manufacture tech for the US military. If that’s not enough to entice you, then let’s thrown in some additional craziness. While Chris is dealing with his livelihood woes, Billy, a rich, neglected, and precocious 12-year-old, hires a hitman (Walton Goggins) to kill Santa after receiving a lump of coal in his stocking. Yes; blue-collar Santa, military manufacturing, hitmen...it's all here. 


This movie is bonkers but in so many wonderful ways! Co-writers/directors Ian and Eshom Nelms manage to spin a new take on Santa Claus while balancing the crazy with very humanistic elements. Santa is a mess as he considers the state of the world, his place within it, and the lack of Christmas spirit. He tinkers on the sleigh and mingles with his reindeer for comfort. There's this grounded sense of magic within this humanistic Santa that it never goes full-tilt over-the-top. Chris Cringle, though Santa Claus, is a relatable dude. He doesn’t want to use his magical factory and workforce for means other than making toys, but he has no choice if he wants to stay afloat. Gibson gives a surprisingly heartfelt and at times powerful performance. There’s a particular scene where he’s informing the elves that he’s taken on the military contract and you can see the pain in his eyes; he doesn’t want to have to go this route, but he also wants the best for his elves and the children of the world. If he doesn't take on the contract, he won’t be able to keep things running, ruining Christmas forever. On top of that, he’s also dealing with a hitman! 


Watch Mel Gibson Play A Deranged Santa Claus In New Fatman Trailer -  CINEMABLEND


Fatman is brilliant. It’s funny when it needs to be, heartfelt when it needs to be, and more violent than you would expect a Santa Claus story to ever be! It’s well-acted, directed, and cleverly-written. Marianne Jean-Baptiste, who plays Ruth (Mrs. Claus) grounds the emotion both in the story and with Chris, and Goggins is unhinged, which is the best kind of Goggins. I had no idea how much I needed a Mel Gibson Santa Claus until I got it, and I’m so glad I got it! This movie hasn’t left my mind from the moment I first watched it, and is easily—without a doubt—my favorite new movie of the year.

 

 

I’m sure your lists will look different than mine, and that’s awesome. In a crazy year like the one we just had, it’s comforting to know that art is still thriving. I’m grateful for films, for artists who express themselves in many ways, even beyond the movies. Here’s to a better 2021, and here’s to more new movies!


What was on your list of favorite movies? Let me know!




HONORABLE MENTIONS


Underwater

The Gentlemen

Bad Boys for Life

Birds of Prey

The Way Back

Let Him Go

Borat Subsequent Moviefilm

Mank

Palm Springs

On the Rocks

Bill and Ted Face the Music

An American Pickle



Comments

Popular Reviews

Quarantine Movie Round-Up #3

Jackman Shines in the Captivating Musical "The Greatest Showman"

A Secret Sequel and A Couple of Oscar Noms!