"Joe Bell" Delivers a Powerful Message with an Equally Powerful Performance by Mark Wahlberg

 


As a movie lover, I'd like to think that I stay pretty up-to-date with what is coming out week to week, what is on the horizon, and all the buzz surrounding those upcoming projects. I love that stuff; makes me feel connected, in a way, to the process, as if I'm more than just a consumer. Sometimes, though, a movie will slip through my radar and completely surprise me. That's what happened with the new Mark Wahlberg feature, Joe Bell. I was scrolling through upcoming movie times, trying to decide if there was something I wanted to venture out and see, and I noticed showtimes for this movie Joe Bell. I knew nothing about it, hadn't heard of its release, and I saw Mark Wahlberg on the poster. I watched the trailer with my wife, who then expressed interest in seeing it, and off we went. I love knowing about movies and how they progress, but I also love not knowing, which made our viewing of Joe Bell that much better.

Joe Bell is based on the true story of a small town, working class father (Joe Bell, played by Mark Wahlberg) who embarks on a solo walk across the U.S. to crusade against bullying after his son is tormented in high school for being gay. His mission seems pure and straightforward from the get-go, but as the narrative progresses, we soon learn that Joe's journey is more than just a solo trek between speaking engagements. Outside of the movie, I didn't know anything about Joe, his trek, and the national attention it received. It's powerful, and the film made me want to know more about him.

The message of this film is universal in its nature, that it's never okay to treat others with disdain, violence, or negativity simply because they're different than you. Also, that it's important to stand up for what is right. When you factor in outside variables like societal demographics, political perspectives, faith-based beliefs, and an all-around close-minded sense of seeing the world, anything can be misconstrued and marginalized. Jadin Bell was just a typical teen. He had friends who he loved and he enjoyed extracurricular activities, like cheering. His mother was kind and loving; his father was hard and abrasive at times. Living in a small, highly conservative environment didn't make it any easier for him to be his true self, and that's a horrifying thing to consider. Reid Miller, who plays Jadin, delivers a wonderfully raw and emotional performance; Jadin is the driving force behind why his father does what he does, ultimately shaping Joe's journey on many levels.

Mark Wahlberg gives one of the best performances of his career as of late with this role. Sure, he can hold his own in any action flick you put him in, but every so often there are a few roles that he takes on that always tends to remind you that "oh yeah, this guy can act!" This movie is sad; it deals with real issues we see today, unfortunately, and Joe (as portrayed in this film) is a culmination of many things. Joe is a frustrated father, a character that represents fear, fear that extends from being a parent, to the fear of facing the unexpected. He's also a man that carries around the immense weight of guilt. Wahlberg manages to display true, raw, intense emotion that tended to both explode on screen in some places, and simmer to an unimaginable boil in others. I'm skirting around spoilers here, so bear with me (though, if you're familiar with the real events, then I guess there really aren't any spoilers). There are many things that drive Joe to make his trek, though he only really gives one reason: it's all for Jadin. But through Wahlberg's performance, those onion layers get pulled back one by one until you realize that this is both a global and a personal exploration. What was meant to be a journey of forgiveness and education, becomes one of self-actualization, empathy, and understanding.

I gotta hand it to the writers and the director as well, here. The screenplay by Diana Ossana and Larry McMurtry is really well crafted and tight. It's an emotionally heavy story, with very little moments of levity or reprieve, yet they managed to wield the written word in a way that harnessed that emotion in an effective way. Never once did I feel bored, or the story feel slow or sluggish. It moved along at a phenomenal pace, giving each moment their due. Reinaldo Marcus Green's direction is really great, and I felt completely engulfed in this story.

I can't speak to the effectiveness of this movie in capturing the immensity of the true events its based on. I'm sure there are disparities between the two, but I can only speak to my experience with the film without being informed of the truths it depicts. This movie is one I highly recommend, one that I'm sure will get lost in the fray. The message is timely, universal, and powerful. The narrative is effective, and the performances are outstanding. I cannot praise this cast enough, specifically Reid Miller and especially Mark Wahlberg. The more I think on it, the more I feel his performance in this is one of my favorites of his in the last while. Check this one out; you won't be disappointed.



Comments

Popular Reviews

Quarantine Movie Round-Up #3

Jackman Shines in the Captivating Musical "The Greatest Showman"

A Secret Sequel and A Couple of Oscar Noms!