"Dune" is a Masterful Film, with Potential to be One of the Greatest Epics of All-Time

 



Director Denis Villeneuve has yet to make a stinker, and I know how loaded of a statement that is given the subjective medium of film. But I would venture to say that of the working filmmakers today, nobody is as constantly brilliant in his execution as Villeneuve...even if people don't like his movies. I've been excited to see his take on the literary classic Dune by Frank Herbert, not because I've read it (because I haven't...yet), but because Villeneuve boasts a visual experience like no other, and I'm always game for that. Some say that Herbert's novel is to science-fiction what The Lord of the Rings is to fantasy, and that's another heavy statement to really consider. When it comes to adapting such dense and important material, one can expect there to be vast differences between mediums. But if this literary comparison can be translated to the big screen, then that's something to really consider. The Lord of the Rings is one of the greatest film epics of all time...and after seeing Dune, I can say without a shadow of a doubt, that it has the potential to be the same.

The story is about Paul Atreides (Timothée Chalamet), the son of a noble family, who is entrusted with the protection of the most valuable asset and most vital element in the galaxy. His noble family is tricked into taking over the governance of a desert planet, and Paul is left to try and survive on the harsh planet with his mother (Rebecca Ferguson), and a host of visions that seem to connect him with one of the planet's inhabitants. It's a loaded narrative, one that I cannot do justice here in summarizing, but what I can say is that Dune is a sweeping epic of the grandest scale, boasting some of the greatest visuals, storytelling, stakes, and production you'll ever see. It's a massive and incredible film, one that completely floored me from start to finish.

This movie is stacked cast-wise; to list them all here would be another paragraph or two, but know that this is one of the most loaded casts I've ever seen in a film. Everyone is on their A-game, and the performances were wonderful. There's a lot to love about this movie, and some stuff I'm sure people won't like, but the cast - more than likely - won't be one of those things. Chalamet is the heavy hitter here, as the story rests primarily on his shoulders. Though boosted by an amazing cast around him, he steals the show at every turn and is completely captivating as Paul. Paul's story is equally interesting, and Villeneuve isn't afraid of leaning into the narrative, giving us time to sit with these characters, with these locations, and really soak in what is happening. Some will see this as bloated and expositional, but I saw it as expansively immersive. This movie needs to be seen on the big screen - and I mean the cinema, not your 80-inch flatscreen.

Performances aside, this movie is an experience. Your eyes will feast on the amazing visuals and incredible world-building that the movie explores. Hans Zimmer's score is so incredible and emotional; what he does with sound and music is nothing short of genius. It's a long film, and yet though the movie seemed to feel its pace in places, the overall experience felt like a blink of an eye. The narrative is a massive one, and you learn right from the start that this isn't the be-all-end-all; the title card read "Dune: Part One." As of the writing of this review, any sequels or continuations to the narrative have yet to be announced by the studios involved...but I hope they do. I felt the same way at the end of this movie as I did at the end of The Fellowship of the Ring. Think about it; if all we got was The Fellowship of the Ring and nothing else, would you be satisfied? No, and I'll tell you why: because it's an incomplete narrative. That's what we have here with Dune; this movie sets up it's potential sequels/continuation brilliantly, and I hope we get to see it through.

Honestly, I feel like I've said a lot of things here, without really saying anything. The truth of the matter is, I'm sort of at a loss as to what to say. It's been a long time since I've experienced a grand cinematic epic of this scale, and I was in awe the whole time. If EVER there was a movie this year that NEEDED to be seen on the big screen, this is the one. Dune is an all-encompassing sci-fi adventure; it's a long movie, but loaded with such a wonderful story and amazing visuals that you will leave wanting more by the end. I can't wait to watch this movie again. A masterful piece of cinema is now out, and I cannot express the need to see it enough.

Comments

Popular Reviews

Quarantine Movie Round-Up #3

Jackman Shines in the Captivating Musical "The Greatest Showman"

A Secret Sequel and A Couple of Oscar Noms!