The Optimist's Top 10 Films of 2021


 

Well, another year has come and gone, and with it a host of new films to enjoy. 2021, in the wake of 2020, has been an equally challenging year for everyone, but what was great to see was the resuscitation of the cinema. Movie theaters opened, providing safe experiences to come and view movies on the big screen, and man was that awesome! I've seen quite a few movies this year, and the variety of films we've been given has been awesome. Looking back, as always, is a challenging feat when wanting to narrow down the best or even the favorites. This list comprises both elements; before you is a list of my top 10 films of 2021 that entertained the crap out of me, that moved and inspired me, that left me questioning or bewildered, and gave me the feels like no other. Again, creating this list was difficult, and I'm sure your lists will look different. I hope it does, because movies and film criticism is subjective, which is honestly the best part. Anyway, on to the list!




10. Judas and the Black Messiah


This movie came out at the beginning of the year and was eligible for consideration at the Oscars. It snagged some gold for performances in the film, and it should have gotten more. On one hand, this story could be seen as a tale of betrayal, loyalty, and living in the face of fear--above just a story about a prominent figure in history. What ends up happening is that the movie portrays a story that is universal, grounded, and a slap-in-the-face when considering how far we still must go to reach true unity and equality...despite how far we've come. What's even more impressive is that it accomplishes this without coming off as preachy. Judas and the Black Messiah is a fantastic film. It's a bit long in the tooth at times, but not so much that it takes you out of it. I really enjoyed this film and I think it's not only an entertaining watch, but an important one as well.


9. Lamb


I went back and forth for a long time debating whether to put this on my Top Ten or leave it in the Honorable Mentions list, and what put it slightly over the edge for me was that no other film this year left me feeling the way I felt at the end of it as Lamb did. This film is part supernatural, part drama, and touches on so many themes that you can take it figuratively AND/OR literally, and it would still be effective. It's freaking weird, and yet extremely beautiful at the same time. I find myself at times reflecting back on this movie, its message, its ambiguous nature, and my desire for a rewatch is then reignited. I have yet to do so at the writing of this, but this movie is easily one of the strangest movies I've ever seen, but its lasting power, for me, edges it in and I feel I just need to give it the props it deserves.



8. No Time To Die


This was another one that I went back and forth on, and ultimately it came down to the legacy aspect that this movie addresses. Daniel Craig is a fantastic Bond, and despite his well-documented frustrations with playing the part and his will-he-won't-he dance with doing this last film, his run has been nothing but memorable. No Time To Die has completely changed the world of Bond forever. Not only that, but the movie is an absolute blast from start to finish. Everything you'd want in a Bond movie is here, and then some. It's the most emotional Bond movie they've made, and it completes a franchise-changing tenure that saw a Bond narrative that connected over multiple movies. Maybe we'll see that again, maybe we won't, but we'll always have this and that's awesome.



7. Pig


Another film that hasn't gotten nearly the amount of love it deserves, Pig was one that truly surprised and inspired me. Sometimes you come across a tale that hits you right in that meaty area where your emotions tend to hang out and suddenly you realize that stories can be more than just entertainment fodder. Michael Sarnoski's Pig did that for me. Nicholas Cage delivers a powerful performance, one that I would venture to say is easily one of his best, and the contained story weaves various themes that all connect in a powerful, yet simple ending. If you haven't seen this movie yet, do yourself a favor and see it. One of 2021's best for sure, and one that will probably - and unfortunately - get forgotten come awards season.



6. Dune (2021)


Director Denis Villeneuve boasts a visual experience like no other, and I'm always game for that. He has yet to make a film that I haven't loved, and Dune is no different. The amazing performances by its stacked cast aside, this movie is an experience. I will not soon forget the amazing visuals and incredible world-building that the movie explores. Hans Zimmer's score is so incredible and emotional; what he does with sound and music is nothing short of genius. The narrative is a massive one, and I cannot wait for the day when I can sit in a movie theater and bask in the awesomeness of its sequels. Dune has the potential of being one of the greatest cinematic narratives of all time, and just the mere thought of that should get you excited.



5. Army of the Dead

http://

Zack Snyder has had a great year when it comes to his cinematic work. One of the most rewatched movies of the year for me was Snyder's zombie epic Army of the Dead. I seriously watched this movie like six or seven times throughout this year, not as many as my number 1 pick, but still - that's gotta say something. One could easily make the argument that the zombie genre has run its course, that there's little to do that hasn't been done...but Snyder proves that's not the case. He managed to craft a highly entertaining heist movie within the backdrop of a zombie movie, while also introducing new and interesting ideas to the zombie lore, while also dropping ambiguous Easter eggs to a larger mythology. I loved this movie so much, and it only got better with each rewatch. Zack Snyder is one of my favorite filmmakers, and he hit a home run with this little number.



4. CODA


There is so much to love about this film. I wouldn't be surprised if this movie makes waves come awards season, because it deserves it; that's my hope, at least. If you're able to check this one out, I highly recommend you do so. CODA is a beautiful film about love, acceptance, relationships, family, what it means to be "normal" - if that's even a thing - and the power found within the bonds we make. It's also a great story about pursuing your dreams and what it takes to make those dreams come to fruition. It's got powerful performances, a wonderful production, and more heart that you can take. I was in literal tears by the end, on the verge of sobbing, and that's not an exaggeration. If you've got Apple TV+, check this one out for sure. You'll be happy you did.



3. The Green Knight


Those who know me will probably roll their eyes at this next sentiment, but I honestly feel that The Green Knight is one the best movies of 2021, hands down. I don't mean this simply because it made my humble "Best of the Year" list, but as objectively as one can get within a medium that is whole-heartily subjective, this movie is one of the best films to come out all year, and one the best movies I've seen in a long time. The production, costumes, and music are stunning; the performances across the board are really quite awesome, especially that of Dev Patel, and the story works as a cohesive parable of what it means to find self-worth. Personally, this story resonated with me on a deep level, and will probably stick with me for a long time. It's not going to be for everyone, which is fine, but I would recommend this to anyone in a heartbeat. Give it a chance; it's really that good.



2. Spider-Man: No Way Home

Those who have time to read and are willing to sit and sift through my ramblings can check out my full discussion on this movie here. What I will say, for the sake of this list, is that Spider-Man: No Way Home is the best "Spider-Man" movie, the best "Peter Parker" movie, and the insane cinematic awesomeness it manages to pull off is top-tier Marvel - in my book. When all is said and done, I found this movie to be completely satisfying, wholly entertaining, emotionally draining, and exceptionally made. This movie gave me more than I had anticipated and delivered in spades. Tom Holland has proven himself time and again that he's got this character down, and in this movie he delivers his greatest performance to date as Spider-Man. I just can't wait to see what the future has in store.


And now, the moment you've all been waiting for. 


The best movie I've seen all year...


...my most favorite movie-watching experience goes to a film like no other...


...and one that I have talked about at least once a day since the moment it released...

 

That film is none other than...






1. Zack Snyder's Justice League


The mythic unicorn that was Zack Snyder's Justice League went from fanboy fever dream to epic reality this year, and I have yet to have an experience with a comic book movie that would rival the one I had with this one. Zack Snyder’s Justice League represents a unique moment in the history of cinema and I’m just grateful to have experienced it. It’s a remarkably beautiful film with so many things to love. It has elevated my expectations for future films, and my belief that anything is possible. It’s a mature film, born out of mythology and breathed into reality through the voices of fans and by a filmmaker who loves his art. I personally think it’s the best DCEU film to date, one of the greatest comic book movies of all time, and Zack Snyder’s best directorial achievement thus far. It's a four-hour epic that I've seen (in its entirety) multiple times, and additional times throughout the year in various installments. It's an "achievement" in every sense of the word, and I honestly think - as a film and with what it manages to "achieve" - it's a masterpiece.


So, there you have it! As it goes with every year, this year's list was really hard to compile. I could easily see any one of the titles listed below in the Honorable Mentions list on this list with equal fervor. Movies are a great escape, and for this humble lover of cinema, these escapes have been lifesavers during a time that is still so uncertain and crazy. Here's to another awesome year of movies! Bring it on, 2022! 



HONORABLE MENTIONS


            

      





Comments

Popular Reviews

Quarantine Movie Round-Up #3

Jackman Shines in the Captivating Musical "The Greatest Showman"

A Secret Sequel and A Couple of Oscar Noms!