The Optimist's Top 10 Films of 2023

 


I realize that it's been a while since I posted anything. If you're one of the valiant few who read my posts, first of all I thank you; second of all, life has a way of infusing chaos and I just wasn't as diligent with writing. That doesn't mean I didn't see any movies this year, because your boy certainly did. As the year winds down, there are still a host of new films I want to see that I haven't got around to seeing and probably won't before the year is out (like Poor Things, Dream Scenario, and many more), but from what I saw, 2023 had its fair share of winners. As always, I present to you my list of favorites; movies that I found moving, expertly made, memorable, surprising, and all-around awesome. This isn't a "best of" list, but merely my "favorites," so without wasting any more of your time, here we go...






10. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3


The best live-action Marvel movie of the year without question, James Gunn's masterpiece (yes, you read that correctly) brought way more depth, heart, and emotion than I had anticipated going into this film. From the clever writing, to the brilliant performances, epic action, and stunning visuals, GOTG Vol 3 elevated the franchise to new heights in my book. Each of the entries has its own unique feel, and Vol. 3 did something I did not expect: it completely re-contextualized the entire Guardians franchise as Rocket's story, and I found that brilliant. Not only does it make for a wonderful re-watch of all the past films, but it just goes to show the brilliance behind director James Gunn's vision. Marvel was lucky to have him, and despite how you might feel about the way the DCEU flittered into the dust, I'm excited to see what Gunn has to show us with this new direction for DC. Some will be more harsh than I about the other MCU offerings this year; I had fun with all of them. But Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 is special, and worth its recognition.




9. John Wick Chapter 4

Keanu Reeves returns to complete(?) his tenure as the practically-invincible action icon that is John Wick in what is easily the best film of the lot. Filled with highly-impressive action sequences, including a memorable scene involving a large staircase that will forever be seared into my brain, this movie has no shortage of entertaining elements. The action/violence will always be forefront in the discussion around these films, but there's a lot to say about the story. The narrative of John Wick is equally compelling from the opening moments of the first film to the closing scenes of this movie, and that's impressive in this day and age. The world-building is incredible across every entry with this film taking things even further, and the visual mastery on display makes for a remarkable watch each and every time. Of course Reeves is awesome in this as always, and I am just giddy that we have this franchise. If you're late to the game with these movies, get on board. Once you do, you'll see why these films are some of the best action movies to date, and this one takes the cake with all of them.





8. Adipurush

I stumbled upon this movie on Netflix earlier in the year, and man was it a welcomed surprise! Adipurush is a modern adaptation of an Indian epic about an exiled prince's journey to rescue his wife from the clutches of an evil king. At its core it's a straight-forward tale of good versus evil, but the thing I've come to learn about Indian filmmaking is that their ability to infuse so much emotion and depth into insane visuals, massive set pieces, whimsical storytelling, and all around epicness is almost second to none. I mean, at one point the protagonist enlists the help of a monkey army and then surfs on the back of a flying giant. It's bonkers...and amazing. I unabashedly love this movie; it's a blast from start to finish. It's streaming on Netflix, so seek it out. I promise you won't be disappointed.





7. Rebel Moon: Part One - A Child of Fire

Say what you will about Zack Snyder, but I will watch anything that guy makes. Sure, his writing can be clunky and lacking at times, but I will argue that there aren't many filmmakers in Hollywood who offers as engrossing a visual experience as Zack Snyder does. Rebel Moon is a passion project of his; what started out as a Star Wars pitch eventually became the sci-fi epic it is now. There are definitely hints of Star Wars throughout this movie, as well as other influences like Seven Samurai. But what we have with Rebel Moon is an entirely original film not based on previous IP, that builds out an interesting and expansive world, and takes us on a journey across multiple worlds with a cast of characters that are as interesting as they are epic. Kora (Sofia Boutella) is a conflicted and complicated protagonist, and we understand her hesitation to oppose the evil and oppressive Mother World, while also understanding her eventual decision to help the colony she's called home. She has a past that informs this decision, and this first film is an awesome ride, while also being a great set-up for Part Two which comes out in April. A late holiday release, Rebel Moon is fantastic, visually amazing, and just what you would expect from an incredibly talented filmmaker like Zack Snyder. Real talk, this movie should be in the discussion and running for best visual effects come awards season. My only qualm with this movie is that it didn't have a wide release in theaters, which would have been amazing.





6. Mission: Impossible - Dead Reckoning Part 1

Last year Tom Cruise saved cinemas with Top Gun Maverick, and this year he delivered the long-awaited Mission: Impossible film that will be his second-to-last as Ethan Hunt. Dead Reckoning - Part 1 is a fast-paced, daring Mission film that is timely with its AI center-point, and yet classically awesome with the action and impressive stunts. Cruise, though polarizing for some, is a sure-fire movie star, and this movie delivers on every single front. Everything you want from a Mission: Impossible movie is on display, and the additions to the ensemble (such as Haley Atwell and Esai Morales) bring really great notes to a symphony of excellence. And the stunts...did I say the action and stunts were amazing? I did? Well, I'll say it again. Every action set piece here is astonishing, and the entire sequence that takes place on a train towards the end of the film, starting with the incredible motorcycle cliff dive that Tom Cruise ACTUALLY does, was breathtaking and kept me on the edge of my seat. I'm excited to see what the next film will do, but I'm so happy to bask in the awesomeness of this one. Tom Cruise has done it again, and I don't think anyone can do what he does.





5. Killers of the Flower Moon

Martin Scorsese is a master filmmaker for a reason. The man understands the craft, the importance of story, of character, and of meaning. His films span the breadth of Hollywood history and tend to center around important themes, ideas, and characters. Killers of the Flower Moon explores the murders of the Osage people in the early 1920s over the oil found on their land. Leonardo DiCaprio leads a packed cast that all deliver stunning performances, but none more than Lily Gladstone, who plays Molly Burkhart, an Osage woman married to DiCaprio's Ernest Burkhart, and who is central to the main narrative of this film. Gladstone's performance is poignant, powerful, emotional, and exceptional. I hope she gets nominated for an Oscar, because she deserves it. I found this movie to be one of the most expertly-crafted films of the year. From the production design to the period clothing, the authenticity is palpable. The story is vibrant yet disheartening at times, and Scorsese even inserts himself into the film at the end to close out Molly's story, which goes to show how meaningful this all seems to him. If you haven't seen this yet, please do so. It's a heavy watch, but one that will move you.





4. Barbie

Believe it or not, but Barbie was the highest grossing movie of the entire year. That's right. I'm not just saying it made a lot of money, because it totally did, but it made the MOST money of any movie that came out, and that's crazy to think when you initially consider the concept. However, if you've seen the movie, you know that that isn't as crazy as you would think because Barbie is, and I say this without hesitation or sarcasm, absolutely wonderful. Writer/Director Greta Gerwig delivers a movie that touches on contemporary themes of patriarchy, classism, consumerism, sexism, all while giving us insanely funny dialogue, epic musical moments, and unforgettable performances from the central cast of Margot Robbie and Ryan Gosling. In fact, Ryan Gosling's number "I'm Just Ken" should be nominated for an Oscar, just so that we can have Gosling perform it at the actual show. But beyond that, Barbie was an absolute blast from start to finish, and a memorable landmark in cinema. It pushed beyond the central IP of the doll we all know, and gave us an introspective journey that attached itself to the hearts of so many who saw it. I laughed a lot during this movie, and even got a little teary at some parts. It's high up on the list for a reason, and I don't think we've seen the end of its praises just yet.





3. Spider-Man: Across the Spider-verse

Easily the best comic book movie of the year by an exceptionally large margin, Spider-Man: Across the Spider-verse did what every sequel tries to do: surpass the first while maintaining its own identity. This movie is, dare I say, better than Into the Spiderverse, and brings Miles Morales' story to a dark and heavy place. The animation is the standout here, changing up its style with every universe we visit. The use of the multiverse is incredibly well-done here, and my favorite part of this movie is that there's no real antagonist. In a way, the "heroes" are the protagonists, for it's all of the other Spider-People that Miles has to combat. It's a morality tale; a story about choice and consequence, and the brilliance behind the narrative is that it captures the essence of who Spider-Man is as a character while delivering a visual spectacle that is truly like no other. It also leaves us with a daunting cliffhanger, and I cannot wait to see what the next film has in store. This movie is my top pick for best animated feature of the year, and if you've seen it you'd know why. It's simply amazing.





2. Oppenheimer

If any movie will walk away with a handful of Oscars this year, it's this one. Production Design, Best Picture, Best Actor (Cillian Murphy), Best Supporting Actor (Robert Downey, Jr.), and Best Director are just a few it could defiantly snag. Director Christopher Nolan managed to craft a 3 hour biopic about a pivotal time in American history, involving the creation of the atom bomb, while centering around a man who is seen as controversial by most, and managed to do so without a single CGI shot. It's astounding, really. Talk about an amazing feat of filmmaking; Nolan has always delivered compelling films, some more so than others, but all compelling nonetheless. Oppenheimer is a movie that he clearly had a vision for, and the exacting of said vision made for a visual experience that is incredible to consider. The man ACTUALLY replicated an atomic explosion. When I say there is no CGI in the film, I mean just that, and that level of "movie magic" is something to really respect. Ultimately, there's a lot I can say about this movie, but I'll just wrap it all up by saying this was an experience seeing it in theaters. This movie is why we need cinemas, and it will be fun to see it recognized as such come the Oscars.





And now, for my number 1 pick...


...a movie that surprised the heck out of me, and the rest of the world for that matter...


...a movie that has stuck with me ever since I walked out of the theater from seeing it...


...a movie that was way better than it needed to be...






1. Godzilla Minus One

Trust me when I say that if you had Godzilla on your "Best of" bingo card, then you were ahead of the curve, because I sure didn't. The Japanese-made Godzilla Minus One was not only my favorite movie of the year without question, I think it's honestly one the BEST movies of the year, and probably the best Godzilla movie to date. The film takes place in post WWII Japan, where the country finds itself at its lowest point when a new crisis emerges: Godzilla. The central character is a disgraced pilot looking for redemption. He finds himself living with a survivor of the war and a baby she found abandoned. Together they form a pseudo family trying to make their way in the world, as Godzilla makes himself known. Baptized in the horrific power of the atomic bomb, Godzilla brings forth destruction and mayhem, leaving the citizens of Japan to face this monster head on. What I love most about this movie is that you actually care about the human characters. The last few Godzilla films, though fun, have mainly been monster movies that focus more on the creature battles and less on the human characters, which makes for a fun but hollow watch. The characters in this film feel real, and you quickly fall in love with who they are and their place within this world. So, when Godzilla appears, you care about who is getting trampled and fear that someone you've connected with might meet their doom. I was genuinely worried for the sake of the main characters, and I found that refreshing for a big monster movie. And speaking of the big guy himself, Godzilla is terrifying in this film! The past few movies have portrayed the monster as more of a savior, a means to bring balance when other large monsters make themselves known. It's a cool take, but Godzilla originally stood as a metaphor for the atomic bomb when he first appeared on screen back in the 1950s. I felt that metaphor reimagined here with this movie, as Godzilla literally shows up to do nothing else but wreak havoc and then bounce back to the ocean. The culminating efforts to take on the beast in the third act also felt grounded in science, which was cool, and the effects in this film--my word! This movie was reportedly made on a 15 million-dollar budget, but it looks like a 200 million-dollar movie, which is astounding! When all is said and done, I will be singing the praises of Godzilla Minus One forever, and rightfully so. Do yourself and favor and see it now while it's playing in cinemas. Everyone I've recommend it to and then saw it, loved it. I know you will, too.



Well, here's to another great year of movies! I know I've got some catching up to do with 2023's offerings, but from what I did see, it was hard to narrow down my favorites. Maybe my list is similar to yours. Maybe it's different. Either way, I hope you had fun watching movies this year; I know I did.



Honorable Mentions

Maestro

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Mayhem 

The Super Mario Bros. Movie

Knock at the Cabin

No One Will Save You

The Holdovers

Comments

Popular Reviews

Quarantine Movie Round-Up #3

Jackman Shines in the Captivating Musical "The Greatest Showman"

A Secret Sequel and A Couple of Oscar Noms!