Happy New Year from The Optimist!!

   2015 has come and gone and just like that, a new year is born! First and foremost, Happy New Year to you all! 2015 has been a great year for movies and I've enjoyed watching and writing about them. When I first started this blog a year and a half ago, it was mainly a way for me to express my overly-optimistic viewpoints on movies while doing what I love, which is writing. Movies to me are much more than commercialized escapism. It's hard for me not to really connect to a movie while watching it. I tend to get super attached and therefore imprint myself on the various characters and stories. I think that's one of the more fascinating points about film. If you can sit in a movie theater and see yourself in one of the characters and say "Hey, I totally get what they're going through. I can relate to that"; when this happens, the movie transcends its monetary value.

   Mainstream audiences today believe that the movie industry lends itself more towards making money than to actually producing art. It's hard not to agree with that given the amount of sequels and reboots we get year after year. That being said, I think that the best and worst films are all art in they're own way. This year has had some surprising successes as well as colossal failures, in conjunction with the box office. "Mad Max: Fury Road" is one of my favorites of the year because it blew away most people's expectations, especially my own. It retained some of that old movie magic from yesteryear with its usage of practical effects and no-holds bar execution. It's a movie that has almost no story whatsoever, and yet it contains one of the most engaging characters in movie history in Furiosa. "Creed" is another movie that exceeded expectations, with its superb acting, storytelling and overall feel. There really are too many to count when it comes to movies that were just flat out awesome. "Star Wars: The Force Awakens" was and is currently, one of the funnest movie experiences I've had in a long time. As it continues to make history in the box office, it will forever be remembered as the movie that took 2015...at least in my eyes.

   I won't spend a lot of time focusing on the sour apples of the bunch. However, I think it's safe to say that the worst film of the year was probably "Fantastic Four". I say that with slight hesitation because I really enjoyed it. You can read my review of the movie here to gain a sense of where I sit in regards to this Marvel meltdown of a movie. It's unfortunate for you - who graciously spend time reading my ramblings - that only positive reviews can be found here. I'll admit, I've been harsh on a couple of films but overall I can't help but say good things because I just love movies.

   As 2015 comes to an end and 2016 looms brightly before us, I wish to thank everyone who took the time to read my reviews. As I mentioned before, this blog was in no way a ploy to stroke my ego, but merely a facet to share what I love. This year I've introduced new articles like the Optimist v. Pessimist posts, which I hope to continue throughout this next year. I want to thank my good buddy, the Pessimist himself, Jens Nielsen for his entertaining views on film and his willingness to gab about movies with me. I hope to bring more of that this coming year.

   May 2016 be a year of optimism and growth for you all! Thanks again for reading! If you like these reviews, feel free to share them with friends! AND GO TO THE MOVIES! MAYBE I'LL SEE YOU THERE!

Comments

Popular Reviews

Quarantine Movie Round-Up #3

Jackman Shines in the Captivating Musical "The Greatest Showman"

A Secret Sequel and A Couple of Oscar Noms!