"X-Men: Days of Future Past" Rivals as Best of Franchise

Related image

    So if you were to ask me right this minute what I thought the best movie of the year so far would be, I would have a tough time answering that. Truth be told, had you asked me a few hours ago it would've been a bit easier to answer than it is now. 2014 has given us an array of movies that have, just like in years past, been strewn through the critic-laden strainer and been separated into categories such as Best Movie of the Year, and Don't-Waste-Your-Money, etc. Mind you, this coming from the guy who practically likes every movie he sees, a few so far have stood out to me as we approach the half way point of the year.

   "Captain America: The Winter Soldier" is a prime example of what an awesome comic book movie can be, and I feel it's probably the best film in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, next to The Avengers. It was, at least a few hours ago, my solid choice as to what I would consider to be the best movie of the year so far. Then I was transported back into a familiar realm of, yes, another comic book universe that has had its fair share of ups and downs at the critics' and fanboys' tables over the years. "X-Men: Days of Future Past" exceeded my expectations as a film and has left me not only wanting more, but with immense gratitude.

   Bryan Singer returns to familiar roots as director of this adventure. His two pieces of the X-Men franchise pie prior to this current slice, are by far the most succulent. "X-Men" and "X2: X-Men United" are indeed the best of the entire lot, with the latter reigning supreme. "Days of Future Past" will rival for best X-Men movie, hands down.

   In a nutshell, the X-Men of the future; characters established in the first three films of the franchise, decide to send Wolverine back into the past in order to change history and prevent impending doom for humans and mutants alike. The most intriguing aspect of the movie is the integration of the original cast with the new cast established in "X-Men: First Class". With this though, the movie is jammed pack full of characters portrayed by an awesome cast, leaving some to ask, as they did with Sam Raimi's "Spider-Man 3", "Is this necessary? Is this going to be too much?" To this I say no.

   The story was engaging. It was so much fun to see both young and old Magneto and Xavier sharing the same screen. It was also interesting to see a softer side of Wolverine than in movies past. Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of intense Wolverine action moments that we've all come to love. The mission he embarks on however, requires Logan to be more of a people person, something we wouldn't really expect from the claw-wielder. And the Sentinels...not much like the original comic book version, but still pretty stinkin' sweet! Now, I'm not one for spoilers (though if you were members of my family you would think others wise) so I'm going to try to avoid any here. But this movie was a freakin' blast! The one thing, if I had to name one, that I would've wanted more of would be more sweet mutant action sequences. The action in the movie is smart and useful. It wasn't over the top nor was it unnecessary. There just wasn't as much as I would have wanted. Yet, for what Singer was trying to do with the story as well as what can now be done with the franchise, it was perfect. However, I will say that Evan Peter's Quicksilver steals the show every time he's on screen. I'll just leave it at that!

   My head is still spinning with the awesomeness that was "Days of Future Past". It's one I'm definately going to see again. Now, I didn't see it in 3D but I can only imagine what it would be like. If you're a fan of 3D, check it out. Either way, check it out. If you're a true fan of the franchise, you'll be so thankful for what they do with this movie. It's affect on the franchise as a whole will bring a smile to your face, just as it did mine.



Comments

Popular Reviews

Quarantine Movie Round-Up #3

Jackman Shines in the Captivating Musical "The Greatest Showman"

A Secret Sequel and A Couple of Oscar Noms!